Hello my dear friends, as you know by the tittle today I’m back with yet another fruit jam recipe, its non-other than the Woodapple Jam. Woodapple or elephant-apple (Botanically called Limonia acidissima) is my one of favorites fruits which can easily found in Sri Lanka.
The frequent fruit contain delicious meat similar in taste to sweet tamarind fruit covered with a hard outer shell, so you have to open it by cracking the shell. To be honest, your first impression of fruit might be not good, but you have to try it; trust me you won’t be disappointed once you get a spoonful of fruit because it is that great. In here we often use it to make Woodapple Juice, Woodapple Milk, jam and for make desserts like pudding, ice cream etc.
Woodapple; itself can consider as a full of nutrient content fruit which is rich in crude fiber, calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, copper, manganese, sodium, potassium, manganese and Vitamin C. [according to an article published in the Indian Journal of Science based on an analysis from the University of Agricultural Sciences (Bengaluru)] Fruit can provide health benefits like;
However, for pregnant women, its recommend to talk to your gynecologist to confirm if your health permits you to eat the fruit.
For today I’m going to share with you to make a thick sweet concoction which can used as a spread along with bit of butter and the taste is truly divine. Try at home using this recipe you will amazed by the magical sensation on the tongue that coming from tartness of the fruit and sweetness. So let’s get into the Woodapple Jam Recipe guys.
You have to have well ripped Woodapple for jam making.
Well ripped fruit can easily find by shaking it, you can feel halo inside it through the flesh of woodapple shake inside by separating its shell.
3. Use your palms gather and squish the pulp to separate the seeds and juice the pulp. Press the juice through a sieve to strain the fibers and seeds from the thick pulp. Keep aside seeds in another bowl.
4. Add remaining water to the separated seeds and mix well, again strain it through a strainer and get pulp without any seeds or fiber.
5. Put sugar and some salt into the mixture. Give it a good mix and keep it in refrigerator for about 24 hours. That way woodapple puree have enough time to infuse with sugar.
Note: The amount of sugar depends on the texture of woodapple, some can be too tart and some can be sweet. So add 200g of sugar at first, taste it and add more sugar as it requires.
6. Pour the woodapple puree into a large heavy-bottom saucepan (I used a Cheenachatti pan and its work well too) on medium flame. Remember to stir well from burning the puree.
7. When mixture start to boil and bubbling well add lime juice to it can stir well.
8. Once jam starts to thickens switch off the flame. You can check the consistency by using a spoon and once last drop dripping down very slowly then it’s cooked enough.
9. When draw a horizontal line on your spoon, top shouldn’t connect with the bottom through dividend line. If so let the mixture to come to room temperature or you will have to cook for few more minutes
10. Woodapple mixture get more thicken when it cools down. Give it enough time to cool down, when it’s ready to stored, you can draw a vertical line inside the pan and if it took much time to connect it’s good to go.
11. Carefully pour jam into sterilized glass jar and store in cool dry place.
12. Keep jam in the refrigerator after every use. Use a clean and dry spoon to take the jam. It will last long for 2 months.
If you like fruit preserves like this, checkout my Mango Jam Recipe also.
Spread a layer of Woodapple Jam with a bit of butter on top and make a sandwich, I’m sure your whole family will come to love it including child to elderly person. For me Woodapple Jam is a staple of household refrigerator, and hope it will works same for you too. I’m saying that not only because of the deliciousness but also health benefits that we can gain from this jam, plus it’s 100% organic without any artificial ingredients since we make it home.
Do try this wonderful Woodapple Jam recipe and tell me what’s your thoughts regarding this. I will see you soon in another delicious recipe like this, till then bye guys!!!