Hello friends, I’m with a delicious cake recipe for all sweet lovers, guys if you love bananas this will be your favorite Banana Cake Recipe for sure. It is banana custard cake. The cake itself is a great stand-in selection for the classic banana bread because of the flavor. Banana custard cake has an intense flavor as a combination of both bananas & custard, unlike banana bread it doesn’t carry strong acidity but balanced perfect texture. Count me in for the banana custard cake, do try this recipe & tell me what you vote for; banana bread or banana custard cake?
Recipe doesn’t contain any additional fat in the form of oil or butter besides the egg yolks for making this sponge cake. Since custard on the top of the cake along with banana already giving perfect frosting to cut out its dried texture by turn over such a great moisture. This banana cake is a well-balanced cake both on texture wise & structure wise, plus lower fat content means it’s a healthy treat to have anytime. Banana sponge cake will absorb the moisture of custard which award with such a beautiful flavor to the cake. On the other hand if we use traditional Banana Cake with custard frost on top it will be such a heavy cake with high amount of fat, so I suggest if you want to assemble a custard cake do bake a sponge cake; it will be healthy & delicious at the same time.
1. First we need to whip the egg whites till it forms stiff peaks. Into egg whites add lemon juice (or ¼ tsp cream of tartar) and start beating it, once it forms bubbles like below picture shows add the sugar 1-2tbsp at a time. Stop beating when you can firmly hold the shape of egg whites like the picture indicates.
Note: To do that there should be a clean bowl & beater attachment without any water drops in. also powdered sugar is lot of easier in here.
2. Sift the flour together with baking powder & salt.
3. Prepare the finely mashed banana using a food processor, blender or with a fork, making sure there isn’t any large lumps on it.
4. In other bowl add egg yolks, milk, vanilla & mashed banana. Mix them all together.
5. Put dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, combine all together by a beater or using a spatula. Just don’t overmix the batter.
6. Put 1 to 2 big dollop of meringue to the mixture & mix it, so that batter will loosen to fold rest of meringue to the batter.
7. Then pour it to the meringue & gently fold the mixture without losing much air. You need to have a fluffy & airy batter at the end.
8. Transfer the batter into prepared baking pan, smooth the top with bench scraper or a spatula. Don’t bang the pan over the kitchen counter, it will lose the air on the batter.
9. Bake preheated oven at 160°C for 25 – 30 minutes until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
10. Allow the cake to cool on the pan for 5 – 10 minutes on the pan & transfer it to a wire rack to let it cool down completely.
I would like to recommend make the custard in advance, in a day ahead is great. That will ensure it has time to thicken well to have fine structure. I’m going to show you make the custard by two different ways using eggs & custard powder. Quantities that I’m using here is enough to cover the cake entirely.
Since I didn’t wait till custard firmly sets up on the refrigerator I did have a runny consistency which I like to have in here. Skip that by cutting the cake & putting on the refrigerator & serve it cold so that cream won’t be melting.
Serve it with fresh banana slices & whip cream by it sides, but I love to have chocolate syrup on it. Banana & chocolate never go wrong right. Have it however you like it’s totally up to you. It is so delicious & it’s safe if I may say this Banana Cake is better than banana bread. Definitely try out & tell us what you think about this recipe.
Try out my other delicious cake recipes in here;
See you soon in another delicious recipe like this guys! Bye for now.