Hello guys, I’m back with yet another delicious tea time snack The Fish Bun; to accompany you & your family. This is super easy to make with few ingredients, you can have the ultimate treat for yourself. I’m pretty sure you will definitely try this out, because I’m with all the tricks that will be useful to you. So let’s jump to the recipe, shall we?
In here I’ve used canned fish but you can substitute with other fish like mackerel, tuna, sardine or salmon. Fish bun is not only tasty but at the same time it is light & healthy with the fresh stuffing that you put inside the bun. It totally make the taste level up by instantly.
It is recommended to make the filling first & then move to the dough making. You can replace the filling with whatever your liking, I’m going with the most typical one in here. Also you can also use carrot, leeks & cabbage into this it is also bring great taste. You can boil potatoes beforehand before making the filling.
Note: Please consider that, if you are in a cool weather leave it in a warm place like near to your cooker when making something or inside of a cupboard. The reason why we activate the yeast first is to reduce the chances in case of old yeast being used because that will prevent the dough from arising. So I recommend you to first active yeast like that instead of dumping the yeast directly to the flour mixture, if you want to dot every i’s and cross every t’s on making The Fish Bun.
2. Add shifted flour into a dry bowl, activated yeast culture, room temperature butter, half amount of slightly beaten egg, milk powder and salt. Combine well all together with your clean fingertips without applying too much pressure on the dough. When mixture forms into a flake consistency like bread crumbs, make a hole in the middle.
3. Into that add half amount of given ice water quantity & bring flour mixture together, running your hand in circles on the bowl. Then add rest of the water in little amount at a time & mix well using your hand without applying too much pressure on the dough mixture. The right texture on the dough is to be sticky on your fingers. If it comes to that stage stop adding water.
Note: The needed amount of water to the dough may be vary from each, due to the flour that you are using. So don’t dump all the water in one go, follow the above mentioned tip for safety measurements. Also hence I’m living in a topical warm climate country I used ice water on the dough making. Try to be reasoning with this is to, if I used lukewarm water in here it will arise quickly & will become too stretchy to form the shape of bun, it even cause the sour taste in your fish bun. Dough kneading also absorb the heat of our body temperature through the hand, so it will heat even more, if I used lukewarm water in here. It’s fine to use lukewarm water if you are living on a cold place or cold climate place.
Unless you don’t have milk powder on hand you can replace that amount by more flour & add 4-5tbsp of milk before adding the water to the dough.
4. Place the sticky dough ball on a non-sticky kneading board like made out by stainless steel. Or use your clean kitchen countertop. Put some extra flour on your hand & surface when it gets to sticky when kneading. (I used a wooden kneading board because I haven’t had others, if you are using a board like mine you need to aware that it will stick to board more than others, so need to use a dough scraper to bring sticky dough parts regularly till dough is ready.)
Note: Kneading develops the gluten of the flour by making it stronger and more elastic. Well-developed gluten allows the yeasted dough to stretch and expand as it rises. So kneading technique is important. It can be done by hand or by a stand mixer, food processor or bread machine. Follow below mentioned steps if you using hand for kneading.
5. Hand Kneading takes about 7 – 10 minutes whereas stand mixture will only take 7 – 8 minutes.
6. Form a cylinder shaped dough to cut into small pieces, when the dough is ready. Ideal weight for a fish bun take 60 – 65g, if you have a scale measure it out & get uniform fish buns at the end.
7. After cutting dough pieces, using your fingertips fold all the edges to the bottom of the dough to form a nice ball. For smoothen the edges of the dough ball, run few circles on the counter top pressing against your palm. Make all 10 balls like this.
8. Cover the balls with a kitchen towel & leave it to rest for 30 minutes to doubles in size.
9. Take one doubled sizably formed dough ball while others are still on covered with a kitchen towel, place it on a flour dusted working top turning up the bottom side of the ball. (Refer 1st numbered picture)
10. With the help of your fingertips stretch the dough to the sides, while making so you need to center to as it is; so that fish bun will keep it iconic figure when it bakes. (Refer 2nd numbered picture)
11. To get the triangle shaped fish bun follow these steps.
Make all the balls like this. (Refer 3rd, 4th, 5th& 6th numbered pictures)
12. Keep shaped fish buns on a buttered baking tray & don’t try to move around its shape. Again cover them for another 30 minutes to form double in size.
13. Time is up after 30 minutes, get the left over half amount of beaten egg & brush it on the top of fish buns.
14. Bake at 200°C about 18 – 20min in a preheated oven till it becomes golden brown.
15. As soon as fish buns are out of the oven brush some butter on the top of fish buns to have shiny top on the fish buns. For best result cover the buns after that with a kitchen towel 5-10min. So that it will be soften.
Serve The Fish Bun with favorite sauce to taste the delicious bite. It is so good. I’m telling you to child to elderly person anyone will fall in love with this, plus its super healthy because it’s you who made. Definitely try this out & tell me what you think. If you like the recipe I’m pretty sure you will like the fish roti also. Go check that out.
See you soon with another delicious treat guys. Bye!