Hello guys, it took really long time to get back with a recipe for me to meet you. As I promised in an earlier post today I’m sharing with you; the perfect Egg Rolls Recipe. It got the unique flavor of Sri Lanka and pretty much similar to Fish Rolls. Whenever I make Egg Rolls or Fish Rolls at home, I’m used to go for the both; because my family are anticipating to try both and they love the taste in those rolls individually. My advice to you make both rolls recipes your family will love it for sure, in fact these rolls perfect for an afternoon tea party cuz you will get two foods in one recipe. So make sure to check my Fish Rolls Recipe too.
This Egg Rolls Recipe is made out from crapes. Then filling goes middle of the pancake with a half of hardboiled egg on top of that, roll into a square which is iconic shape of the egg rolls, dunk in beaten egg and lastly coat with bread crumbs to deep frying.
The crapes are quite similar to British Pancake recipe, I used those pancake recipe with Sri Lankan Kottu Recipe also. Go along with the post, as usual I will share some tips and tricks of this recipe.
Egg Rolls Recipe or Fish Rolls Recipe can be made ahead of a time, you can either freeze or refrigerate them. (depends on how much longer you will need to keep them, if you are going to use them within two days you can keep on refrigerator and longer than that you will have to freeze them.) If you prepare them in advance, roll out into shape and freeze. Or you can coat with bread crumbs, but at the time you are going to fry rolls after defrosting; you have to double coat them. Go for either way you prefer, but you will have to try Egg Rolls Recipe for sure guys okay? Without further duo lets’ get into today’s recipe shall we?
For about 12 Egg Rolls
1st step: Prepare the stuffing
Ingredients for stuffing
- Canned fish 175g
- Hardboiled eggs 6
- Chopped boiled potatoes 200g
- Ginger garlic paste 1tbsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- One large onion finely chopped
- Pandan leave 2 inch in length
- 2 Green chilies finely chopped
- Finely chopped curry Leaves 8 – 10
- Finely chopped 2 green chillies (optional)
- Red chilli flakes 1 tsp
- Curry powder 1tsp
- Black pepper ½ tsp
- Turmeric ¼ tsp
- Salt 1tsp
- Use any other stuffing for this instead, like with vegetables or meat or seafood.
- Hard-boil the eggs with water enough to cover them and put a lid on pan over medium heat. After its done transfer those into room temperature water bowl. Keeping eggs under the water and start to peel off the egg shell, so that it will easy to remove shell without damaging the egg.
- You can also use carrot, leeks & cabbage into stuffing, which would bring a lovely taste too.
- If you are using potatoes, make sure to boil potatoes after removing their skin off & cutting into big pieces as the very first step, then prepare the other ingredients & move into cooking. That way potatoes have enough time to boil, as we add that in last.
Steps to make the filling
- Put a pan on medium shove & heat the oil. Add onions in when it soften add ginger garlic paste, green chilies, Pandan leaves & curry leaves.
- When onions turn to golden brown color add potatoes & canned fish. Season the mixture with all spices.
- Do a taste test, adjust the spice level according to your preference.
- Turn off the heat. Transfer the filling into another bowl to cool down & add few drops of lime juice & mix well. Remove the Pandan leaves from filling mixture. Keep it aside.
- Cut hardboiled eggs into two and keep aside.
2nd step: Prepare the pancakes
Ingredients for the pancake batter
- All-purpose flour 1 ½ cups
- One large egg
- Salt ¾ tsp
- Water 2 cup
- Instead of water you can use either milk or coconut milk. The amount of liquid may be vary due to different flours absorb liquid differently.
- You can also add melted butter 1 ½ tbsp for the recipe also.
Steps to make pancakes:
- Add sifted flour, salt together in a bowl & give it a mix.
- Mix egg with water or milk and pour that in a well centered of the flour mixture
- By gradually getting flour on the sides of the well, start mixing it with a whisk. Always remember to go through the center of well & combining flour on the sides to it. That way you won’t get any flour lumps.
- We are looking for thin and smooth consistency in this pancakes. If it requires more add more water or milk if it’s too thin then add more flour to get correct consistency.
- If you get noticeably large flour lumps beat the mixture to remove them, however if it has small tiny flour lumps, that fine and move on to cooking.
- If you have time cover the mixture about 10min to rest. After the resting give it a quick stair.
- Get a pan, place on a medium shove & pour spoonful of batter to the center of heated pan, then rotate the pan and get round shaped pancake.
- After 1-2min pancake will be done, no need to flip it and cook again. Transfer cooked pancake into a plate and pour batter on pan to make another pancake.
3rd step: Assemble the Egg Rolls
In order to prepare egg rolls while cooking the pancakes, you will have to gather stuffing and halves of boiled eggs near to your cooker. Then once pancake are done and other one is cooking you have enough time to assemble the egg rolls.
- Put 1 – 2 tbsp of stuffing in the center of pancake, slightly spread that out in the middle part.
- Place half of egg on the top of stuffing facing flatted/ cut side to stuffing.
- Then get one part of pancake and cover the egg. Do the same for opposite side too. Similarly get other two parts of pancake and press gentle so that it will stick well. If pancake doesn’t stick well you can apply some water on the sides to attach them. It may happen if pancake is not warm, that’s why I’m recommending you to do that while cooking.
- Make sure to wrap the pancake tidily, with neither applying too much pressure nor too loose pressure.
- Put seal side down to secure it. Prepare all egg rolls just like this and keep aside.
4th step: Coat with bread crumbs
Originally prepared egg rolls need to dunk in beaten egg and coat with bread crumbs. But in here I will share two other alternatives which doesn’t require any eggs.
- Make a thin batter with 3tbsp of all-purpose flour with some salt and water.
- Get the pancake batter and add more water to get very thin batter.
- Place prepared rolls on the egg mixture or any other thin batter.
- Turn it over and well cover it with batter using a folk.
- Transfer it on a plate with bread crumbs. Coat the roll well on bread crumbs pressing crumbs to roll.
- Similarly prepare all rolls just like this.
- If you want egg rolls to get extra crispy you can apply corn flour coat even before dunk in eggs or mixture. Or you can double fry them too.
- Also if you feel rolls gets liquid on its surface after coating when you touch it, you need to go for a double coat or otherwise it will ruin when frying.
5th step: Frying the egg rolls
- Heat the oil on a pan over medium flame.
- Once oil hot enough, check it whether putting some batter into oil & once it comes up it well heated up.
- Carefully place the coated egg rolls on oil, don’t over crowd the pan.
- Fry them until they turn into brown color. It will take about 5 minutes.
- Once done, use a tong to lift the fish roll off the oil, make sure all excess oil drips back down before transferring the fried fish rolls to a dish covered in paper towels.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
So my dear friends that’s all about the Egg Rolls Recipe. If you craving for something spicy and crunchy at the same time, this is it! This Egg Rolls Recipe have amazing texture from stuffing and the crust, its contrast but combination is truly fabulous. I really hope you will make this to taste it. Superb combination with your afternoon tea or coffee. Do make Egg Rolls Recipe and tell us how it turn out for you all.
I will see you with refreshing delicious treat like this guys, till then Bye!!!