Hello friends, today I bring you a recipe for make the Ulundu Vade (Medu Vade). It’s an Indian version of savory donuts that served as a snack, as an appetizer or even enjoyed at breakfast time. Even though its shape similar to a donut Ulundu Vade is completely different from the texture & flavor. Today it is quite popular as a street food layered with spicy chili paste or a coconut Sambal.
Star for the Ulundu Vade is Urad dal or split skinned black gram that contains high level of protein, iron, potassium, and calcium which we can consider as an energy source. It is a very good digestion source and prevents constipation. Apart from all, it is a good anti-aging source, good for your skin, clean and removes the excess oil in your face, and improving heart health by increasing the blood circulation. With these health benefits, now you can see it is not only a snack but also a healthy food. I’m going to make Ulundu Vade (Medu Vade) from Urad dal flour in here, it can also make using the Urad dal lentils (I will show that in another recipe).
So let’s get start the recipe, if you follow below steps guys you will be able to taste this delicious snack. Crispy on the outside, soft & fluffy in the inside; it is so good. You need to try this for sure!
For about 14 servings
Ingredients for Ulundu Vade (Medu Vade)
For the dough:
For the tempering:
Some people like to add chopped onions, curry leaves, green chilies & spices directly to the dough mixture. But I like to give it a quick tempering just to heat the ingredients before adding to the dough, just because I think it will bring much flavor than other. Feel free to choose whatever the way as your preference.
Steps to make the Ulundu Vade (Medu Vade)
4. Apply some oil on your hand & when at least the 4hr is up knead it for another 5 – 7 min. Make small balls out of the dough. In here I make 14 balls. The amount of vade you are getting is depend on the quantity of balls that you making & its size will matter for the size of Ulundu Vade. So be aware about that.
5. After shaping the small balls, put them inside of a bowl & pour some oil that can lightly touch each ball. Again cover the formed balls for another 2hr.
7. As you can see it arises more after the 2hr. now ready to prepare the shape of Ulundu Vade (Medu Vade) like this.
8. Get a pan with oil on it over the half way in the height of the pan, because Ulundu Vade need to be deep fried. Put it on a medium shove. In an about 1min add little dough drop to the oil, if it come on the oil surface; oil is heat enough to fry. The reason why we want to check heat of the oil is to preventing Ulundu Vade from absorbing more oil than frying. Make sure to do that instead of just before you are dumping the Vade on to the oil.
9. Add Vade on the hot oil & fry both sides flipping to sides when Vade comes on the oil surface. 2-3min will be enough to for frying, so keep eye on it. Wait till Ulundu Vade turn into golden brown in color.
Steps to make coconut sambal for the Ulundu Vade (Medu Vade)
You will need;
You can always adjust those amounts as your taste preferences, hence this is the most basic one to go with Ulundu Vade I pointed out here.
Ulundu Vade (Medu Vade) is taste best with a dipping like chutney or sambal. Chewing the crispiness on outside, soft & fluffiness from inside; what to say more, it taste just heavenly. Not only for a snack but as a meal Ulundu Vade is ideal, you can also have it as a side dish. You got to eat this, tell me if you are interested in making Ulundu Vade directly from Urad dal lentils. I will make a new post for it just for you. Click up here for more savory flavored snacks like Fish roti, Fish bun.
See you again with a delicious treat like this, Bye Bye!!!