Hello my dears, for today’s recipe I bring you the dream of all chocolate lovers (yeah, that’s include me too); the ultimate Chocolate Lava Cake. As same as the Chocolate fudge brownies and Chocolate tres laches cake this is also a recipe that you will fall in love at first bite! A rich indulgence of chocolate with gooey center of lava, which is a super romantic dessert and can served in any occasion to be more special.
If you got 30minutes on hand and if you are a chocolate lover you have to try this for sure, it’s easy, only needs few ingredients to create an impressive dessert. Most importantly Chocolate Lava Cake can be prepared in advance, if you expecting guest come over or a party. The dessert emerges perfectly with flavor of chocolate in bite form and liquidly texture. Trust me you won’t be happy with only having a one serving, because it is super addictively delicious. Without further ado let’s jump to the recipe.
Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
Ingredients (For 8 – 10 cakes of 6” ramekins molds)
- 3 eggs + 3 egg yolks
- Sugar ½ cup
- Semi-Sweet chocolate 150g
- Butter 100g
- All-purpose flour 5 tbsp
- Cocoa powder 3½ tbsp
- Pinch of salt
As the foremost step you need to prepare the ramekins whether it’s disposable or not, or even you don’t have one muffin tin also works well. So apply thin layer of butter of the molds that you will be using and dust with flour or cocoa powder. It’s recommend to use a baking spray for that for smooth plating. If you don’t have one just use regular cold butter stick and run it on the edges. Since we inverting the cake on a plate this step is a crucial to have a perfect presentation. Dusting with a cocoa powder will ensure its all covered with same color unlike regular flour may have yellowish seams of the cakes. Even cake doesn’t have smooth top, that’ fine and it’s forgiven by the Chocolate Lava Cake cuz you can serve with your favorite toppings on the cake and decorate however you want.
Steps to make Chocolate Lava Cake
- Use a double boiler or microwave melt the chocolate and butter together. Set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl add whole eggs + egg yolks with sugar. Beat it until it turn into a thick texture with lemony color and triples by its volume.
- You can add splash of vanilla in here too, even though its not necessary.
- Now to the egg and sugar mixture add the melted chocolate and butter. It’s fine if the chocolate mixture is still warm.
- Put sifted flour, salt to the bowl. You can also add 1/2tsp of instant coffee powder to enhance the chocolate flavor. Now fold everything together until all combine well because chocolate can be sink to the bottom of the bowl.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt into the egg mixture. Whisk everything together. Note that the chocolate will sink to the bottom of the bowl. So finish mixing by using a spatula, scraping the bottom of the bowl, to ensure that all the chocolate is properly incorporated.
- Spoon the batter evenly into each ramekin. It can fill them almost to the top because there is no extra leavening agent in this rather than eggs, so it won’t be arise as a normal cake would do.
- Here comes the tip of the day, even the recipe doesn’t include extra pieces of chocolate inside of the cake batter, I recommend you to try, if you want to have perfect runny center all the time. Normally following this recipe we can have a lava cake, but sometimes the lava will set due to the over baking or matter in quality of chocolates. So in order to prevent that you can use this trick; coat a dark chocolate pieces with flour (so that it won’t sink to the bottom of cake) and put inside of halfway filled cake batter, and cover the chocolate piece with more cake batter.
- Tap each ramekin gently on your work surface to settle the batter and remove an air pockets. Now you can put them in oven or if you are an A+ student you can put them in the fridge for 30 minutes to get best results.
- Bake Chocolate lava Cake at 220 °C for 10 minutes. The high oven temperature cooks the outside of the lava cakes leaving the center slightly gooey.
Note: Bake time for the lava cakes at the correct time is crucial for lava to success. Bake time can be vary due to oven type and its nature and the size of lava cake that you used to bake with. So instead of depending on the timer, check the edges are cooked all around and the center has risen but is not too puffy and is set up but still slightly soft, yet not jiggly. Or you can confirm it by inserting a toothpick into the sides of the cake- it should come out with a few moist crumbs and then the center – it should still be wet.
- Once the cake are out the oven let it cool for about 1 – 2 minutes. Carefully invert the ramekins on serving plates. Flip them by gently tap on it, it should be come out easily. If you feel cakes are stick to bottom carefully run a small knife on the edges and loose it before flipping, or it may fall apart.
- These are can serve as it is or simply dust with powdered sugar or serve as a combination of ice cream and fresh berries as your liking.
For to taste the best flavors in Chocolate Lava Cake serve while it’s warm. So that you can feel the runny chocolate lava in the center of the cake. The longer the cake sits once removed from the oven, the more time it has to continue cooking, that’s why it needs immediate serving. Of course as your preference you can enjoy chilled lava cake too, and there won’t be any lava but still delicious.
If you are preparing Chocolate Lava Cake ahead of time;
- Baked lava cake can be refrigerated and reheat it without having a taste difference, but it may lose the liquid or lava texture in the center. If you doing so wrap them individually and securely in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- If you expecting a gathering you can refrigerate your uncooked batter of chocolate lava cakes in the ramekins for up to one day in advance. Make sure to put a parchment paper on the bottom of your ramekins before spraying with non-stick spray or butter coating. This will ensure that your cakes don’t stick to the bottom of the ramekins after sitting for a longer period of time prior to cooking. Cover the ramekin with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Refrigerate your uncooked lava cake is to keep the prepared batter in its mixing bowl, seal it with plastic wrap and store it for up to two days in the refrigerator. Before baking make sure to place them (or your mixing bowl with batter) on your kitchen counter and allow to come to room temperature. Check the temperature often. You do not want the batter to sit out longer than needed because it does have dairy and egg in it.
- Since the lava cake batter doesn’t have extra leavening agents, it’s important to incorporate lots of air when whiskey the eggs and sugar.
- Use good quality chocolate in here, try to avoid chocolate chips instead cuz it will not get desired outcome always. Try bitter sweet chocolate if you familiar with the bitter taste, but I recommend you to go with semi-sweet chocolate because some bitter sweet have too depth of dark flavor which can’t handle in.
- Can reduce the sugar level as your desire, because obviously this is too sweet dessert to have. So try on getting smaller portion size of moulds too, otherwise it will be harder to handle even though it is addictive.
- If you are following the sneaky trick to have all time lava cake without a worry coat each pieces of chocolate with flour, so that it won’t sink to the bottom of the cake as it bakes.
- Make sure to get a thin layer of butter into ever crevice of the pan then add in a spoonful of flour or cocoa powder, shake it around to coat evenly and tap out the excess. There must be NO ’empty’ spots especially along the bottom inside edges.
- I highly recommend using ramekins for these lava cakes. For this I used disposable smaller ramekins, for me I think it is the healthy perfect serving. If you don’t have ramekins, you can use a muffin pan: Grease muffin pan cups and dust with cocoa powder to prevent the lava cakes from sticking. Your lava cakes will be slightly smaller and may be get 12 – 15 lava cakes from this amount.
- These cakes easily stand-alone due to its richness, but its get in another level if you served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream along with fresh berries of course. But for me warm bite of Chocolate lava cake is all matters, to enjoy the pure taste. Tell me what’s yours favorite combination to go with?
- For even surprise fill with caramel or raspberry sauce inside of it.
The Chocolate Lava Cake is a soft warm chocolate cake in outside while giving way to a creamy, smooth stream of warm liquid chocolate from inside. Its truly heavenly and I’m sure everyone will be loved to have this especial dessert. Do try this definitely, with all the tips and tricks I gave to you I’m pretty sure you will be able to get a perfect cut of lava cake even you totally amateur to baking. So guys I will see you with yet another delicious treat like this, don’t forget to give me a feedback once you make these babies. see you!