Hello there, today I’m going to share with you a delicious & nutritious Vegan Recipes as the first Sri Lankan curry recipe in our blog. Green gram is used for this & it is “Mung Bean Meat Curry”. Texture wise it is perfectly cooked & taste delicious, even hard to say there is green gram on it. Sounds great right, you can make this recipe for the kids whom does skipping nutritious meals all time, or if you are a vegan this is for you. Be a vegan doesn’t mean there wasn’t much recipe options left to try out instead of getting used to same recipes all time, well not anymore do try Mung Bean Meat curry because it close to real meat taste. Today I’m going to prepare the dish as a curry you can even make a saute from cooked Mung Bean Meat.
First we will make the Mung Bean Meat & then cooked it as a curry using coconut milk. Now let’s get begin.
Wash & rinse the Mung Beans at least twice, then pour the water on to the beans until they well covered in the water. Let it soaked for overnight or at least 4 hours. Then transfer soaked mung beans to a strainer for about 10 minutes.
Traditionally in Sri Lanka soaked left over water used in making soup or even it use as a nutritious drink with some coconut to have in morning, but as with the chemical usage in planting mung beans nowadays most of us omit doing that. I got these green grams from my dearest’s mother because they do farming them organically, so I used left over water for making a soup. Do try it once you got organic green grams, it is worth it
The spice level you can adjust to your preference, this much is well balanced for me. Also skip Maldive fish if you looking for Vegan Recipes.
We make these meat steaming mung paste, so we need a small tray for put them on. 6 inches squared pan I used in here, its recommended to use a small square or rectangular shape dish for this because that way it more presentable when we cutting into it. Line with some banana leaves or parchment paper on the pan, lightly brush it with some oil; so that it will comes out easily. I like to use banana leaves because it bring nice flavor to meat.
4. Steam the meat mixture on a steamer for about 15 to 20 minutes. I’m using rice cooker while making the rice & its steamer going to cook the meat, so that 2 in one go plus electricity will also going to saved. If you are using rice cooker like I am, do cover the top with another banana leaf or aluminum foil paper.
5. Once times up, let it cool for on the pan for about 5 minute. Then get it out & cut into your desired sizes.
6. Freeze the mung meat in a zip lock bag or an air tight container to use later, it can be kept for about 2 week in the freezer.
Let’s start making the curry now. If you don’t like have it like curry you can make a devilled mung bean meat. Tell us if you want to know that recipe too, I will make another post for that.
Besides the roasted curry powder we more roasted spice mixture, for that we will need;
In a pan over medium low put the all spices & roast for about 1 to 2 minutes till they turn golden brown. Grind those together to get smooth powder. Set aside.
4. Then add the cubed mung meat pieces, again give it a good mix.
5. Chilli powder, black pepper, salt, turmeric & roasted curry powder then goes in for the pan. Coat all pieces with spices well by mixing well.
6. Pour the coconut milk into the pan, if you need a gravy use more coconut milk.
7. Stir all together very well, cover the pan with a lid & cook for 15 minutes on low flame. During the time you need to stir the curry for few times. (Also with the time you have now I’m recommend you to make the roasted spice mixture, freshly grind spice mixture bring out beautiful aroma & taste too.)
8. When the curry gently boils over add in the tamarind or lime juice. Combine all together.
9. After 15 minutes or so curry will cooked through because mung beans precooked while it steams in. at this point add roasted spice mixture & cook for about 2 to 3 minute more.
10. Remove from the heat, plate up the curry with some gravy. Enjoy while it hot.
With some rice, bread, chapathi or any other dish this Vegan Recipes can be served as a side dish. Gravy is the best part of the dish, so don’t miss it. Nicely cooked mung meat hardly bring its own identical flavor. All about soft nutty taste of mung beans along with coconut milk & other lovely spicy ingredients did their best in here. Super yummy along with rich in nutritious factors like you have never experience before, so do try out this Vegan Recipes.
Checkup Green Gram Milk Rice if you in love with Sri Lankan Cuisine and need to know more mung bean food recipes. Will see you soon with yet another delish recipe like this guys! Bye for now.