Hello friends, today I’m going to share with you Vegan Breakfast in Sri Lankan style, Tempered Chickpea Recipe. Not only as a meal, but also the recipe popular as a street food or as a snack too. As another unique & healthy breakfast dishes in Sri Lankan cuisine easy to prepare.
This hard to resist food recipe healthy because Chickpeas contain high nutrient values, especially protein & fiber. Which is Chickpea Recipe quickly becoming a healthy favorite food around the world. If you looking for a Vegan Breakfast try tempered chickpeas as your meal.
Check up my other Vegan Breakfast recipes in Sri Lankan style in here.
So Let’s get start the recipe now.
For about 6 – 8 servings
- 4 cups boiled Chickpeas
- Chopped onion 1 – 2
- Pieces of dried red chillies 2 – 4
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds ½ tsp
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Chilli flakes 1tsp
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- Sliced coconut ½ cup
- Salt ¾ tsp
- You need to soak the Chickpeas in water over night or about 6 hours before boiling. Add a pinch of baking soda while soaking chickpeas for soften them. After soaking chickpeas drain water and boil them adding more water in. Once they cooked enough, drain water and keep the boiled chickpeas aside.
- If you are using stove for cooking it will take 30 to 40 minutes or if you are using a pressure cooker it will be done by third whistle. In order to avoid unpleasant raw texture from chickpeas you will have to give enough time to boil them.
- Canned chickpeas can use for the recipe & it will be easier with time saving because soaking doesn’t count for them.
- Cumin seeds for the recipe is optional, but it brings such a nice flavor to the tempering; so if you have them on your pantry consider using in here.
- Adjust the spice level as per your preferences.
- Substitute sliced coconut with fresh grated coconut or unsweetened coconut flakes. Coconut also reduce the spiciness of the tempering while bring in nice flavor.
- To get even aromatic use 1 inch of cinnamon for the recipe or ½ tsp of cinnamon powder.
- Instead of dried chilli pieces you can use chilli paste for the recipe too.
Steps to make the Tempered Chickpea Recipe
- Heat oil in a pan & into hot oil add mustard seeds.
When mustard seeds start popping out; add cumin, onion & curry leaf. Mix well.
- When onion become soften add dried chilli pieces & stir well.
- Once onion turn into golden brown color add the chickpeas and season it with chilli flakes & salt.
- Finally add the sliced coconut or fresh grated coconut. This will reduce the spiciness of the salad. Combine all together.
- Fry for another 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.
This is not a Vegan Breakfast option but if you want to get the recipe more special;
- You can crack eggs for the mixture before adding chickpeas, sauté with spices till it get scrambled. And usual add rest of the ingredients toss it well, serve hot.
Have this flavorsome Chickpea Recipe that contain high nutrient profile. Pleasant grainy texture with & nutty flavor along with spices is an excellent appetizer besides a full meal too. Enjoy with your family & friends because it’s so easy to make, and don’t forget to tell us how that turn out for you.
And friends I want to mention that my exams are just around the corner & today’s onward I won’t be able to post articles regularly. I promise to post ones whenever I got time. Stay with us & we will bring the best out for you guys.
I will see you in a new recipe guys, so bye for now!