Hello friends, as usual today I’m back with another delicious Snack Recipe, it is Sri Lankan Fish Rolls aka we called it as Chinese rolls. Fish rolls can be define as Sri Lankan version of Spring rolls, I guess; because both are deep fried snacks. The unique thing about fish rolls are their texture & flavor. Spicy flavor of Chinese rolls coming from the stuffing that used to wrap within a pancake whereas crispy texture coming through the prepared roll dunk in beaten egg, breaded & then deep frying.
Pancake batter we used here is quite similar to British Pancake recipe. And it also remind me of the batter used in Sri Lankan Kottu Recipe too, its opposite of texture but prep in the same way.
As I was saying earlier fish rolls required some prior preparation, but they are all quite easy to do. Let’s jump to this Snack Recipe now!
For about 12 fish rolls
Ingredients for the spicy stuffing
- Canned fish 175g
- Chopped boiled potatoes 200g
- Ginger garlic paste 1tbsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- One large onion finely chopped
- Pandan leave 2 inch in length
- 2 Green chilies finely chopped
- Finely chopped curry Leaves 8 – 10
- Finely chopped 2 green chillies (optional)
- Red chilli flakes 1 tsp
- Curry powder 1tsp
- Black pepper ½ tsp
- Turmeric ¼ tsp
- Salt 1tsp
- You can use any other stuffing for this instead, like vegan or meat or seafood. But iconic taste of the fish rolls coming through canned fish called jack mackerel in here Sri Lanka. You can use up to 1 large can of canned fish for this.
- You can also use carrot, leeks & cabbage into stuffing, which would bring a lovely taste too.
- Boil potatoes after removing their skin off & cutting into big pieces as the very first step, then prepare the other ingredients & move onto cooking. That way it has enough time to cook well because potatoes are going add last.
Steps to make the filling
- Put a pan on medium shove & heat the oil. Add onions in when it soften add ginger garlic paste, green chilies, Pandan leaves & curry leaves.
- When onions turn to golden brown color add potatoes & canned fish. Season the mixture with all spices.
- Do a taste test, adjust the spice level according to your preference.
- Turn off the heat. Transfer the filling into another bowl to cool down & add few drops of lime juice & mix well. Remove the Pandan leaves from filling mixture. Keep it aside.
Similar way we did prepare the filling on the other Snack Recipe like Fish Roti & Fish Bun. Check those recipes as well, so that you will be able to make another amazingly flavorful savory snacks.
Batter of the pancakes in fish rolls
- All-purpose flour 300g 2 cups of bread/wheat flour
- Corn flour 1 ¼ tbsp (optional)
- Slightly beaten 1 large egg
- Salt ½ tsp
- Water 2 ¾ cups + more
Steps to make the pancake batter
- In a medium-sized bowl combine flour, salt, beaten egg and water.
- Gradually add water till you get the correct consistency without forming lumps in. if you do have lumpy batter use an electric hand mixture or whisk to remove them.
- Have an almost smooth batter that can easily falling off from a spoon. It’s neither too thick nor thin.
- Keep the batter while assembling the fish rolls, so it will be nicely thicken a little.
Cooking the pancakes or crepes
- Pour the 3 tbsp amount of batter on the preheated nonstick pan over medium low flame.
- Swirl around the pan holding it or spread the batter using back of spoon. Cook it for about 2 minutes.
- When the top of the crepe dries out, check the bottom, if it can easily remove from pan; use spatula to lift & transfer to a clean working top.
Here come the tip for the recipe, you can make all the crepes from batter or make one crepe & shape the fish rolls by the time another pancake cooks on the pan. To me this is the easiest way & rolls comes out perfectly too.
If you do like I’m in the kitchen counter beside the cooker get ready filling, a spoon & two clean plate.
- Once the pancake cooks transfer it on to one plate & pour another one to pan, let it cook.
- Meanwhile get one generous spoonful of stuffing & place on the center of bottom leaving at least 1 inch gap.
- Spread the filling into rectangular shape.
- Bring left & right edges of the pancake to the center and cover the filling.
- Get the bottom to cover the filling & roll the dough to the top while making sure wrapping it tight enough.
- Secure the rolled wrap by pinching the very edge to the roll by pressing gently.
- Keep the pressed edge facing onto the plate when you placing it, to ensure it seal completely.
- Since crepe just out from pan, it is warm. Be aware on that. Also this way seal of the fish rolls well secured because it warm, crepe doesn’t dry. No need to applying additional water glue to secure the roll.
- If making all pancake at first & assembling them is the easiest way, you will have to use some water to attach pancake edge to roll secure the seal. Hence cooking pancakes can dries out their surface. Similar to above instruction wrap the fish rolls.
Coating the fish rolls with breadcrumbs & frying
You will need
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- 2 ½ cups of oil for frying
Usually slightly beaten eggs with 2-3 tbsp of water used to dunk the prepared rolls in, but I’m using the same batter I used to make crepes for this purpose.
- In order to that reserve ¾ cup of pancake batter & add less than ¼ cup of water to make thin batter to coat the prepared rolls.
- Use any loosen batter or beaten egg to dunk the rolls.
- Place them on a plate of breadcrumbs. Cover the whole roll with breadcrumbs entirely.
- Keep them on a clean & dry plate.
- Heat the oil on a pan over medium flame.
- Once oil hot enough, check it whether putting some batter into oil & once it comes up it well heated up.
- Carefully place the coated fish rolls on oil, don’t over crowd.
- Fry them until they turn into brown color. It will take about 5 minutes.
- Once done, use a tong to lift the fish roll off the oil, make sure all excess oil drips back down before transferring the fried fish rolls to a dish covered in paper towels.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
So that’s for the today’s Snack Recipe guys. I hope you will enjoy with your family & friends. Nothing compatible than a crunchy bite of fish roll with a tea. There is another Snack Recipe just like this but different stuffing; what we called as Egg rolls, I will also include that recipe in another post with new tips & tricks.
Stay tuned with us, The Rapid Home Art; we bring you refreshing delicious food recipe & crafting projects (I’m so sorry guys I haven’t had time to do a new project, cuz as you can see I’m too into cooking these days, I will back with a project soon.)
Bye for now guys, will see you soon with another recipe soon!!