Hello friends, even it took awhile to bring you a tasty food recipe yet again. Today I’m with another delicious Bread Recipe, it is Pogaca; a traditional savory bread/ pastry in Turkey. They comes with different fillings such as feta, kasar cheese, potatoes or olives or even without no stuffing at all. Recipe is unique to themselves in Turkey, however today I’m trying with my version of making them as yummy in tasting & cuter in looking.
Pogaca is pillowy-soft, buttery bun ideally comes for breakfast. The tender texture of these cute breads with delectable filling is so tempting that you can never satisfy from having only one. Plus this recipe is so simple to make, that means even if you are a beginner in bakery you can try out Pogaca confidently.
Without further delaying let’s begin the cooking and guys as always I will leave few options for filling for Pogaca, you can find them as moving on the article.
3. With a spatula combine all well & then gradually add flour little amount at a time.
4. Using spatula mix flour with wet ingredients without forming lumps & add the salt in.
5. Same way corporate all the flour, now you have a somewhat sticky soft dough.
6. This stage add soften butter to the dough, combine it to the dough by using your clean hand.
7. Sprinkle 1 – 2tbsp of flour if it feel too sticky to the hand. But don’t tempt to add more than that because once you knead the dough, it will be fine.
8. Knead the dough for about 8 minutes. There is no need for transferring dough into a working top unless your bowl doesn’t have enough space.
9. After kneading make a ball (it is not necessary though), cover with a plastic wrap & let the dough ball to get double in size. Mine took about 45 minutes, it will depend on the temperature of place where you kept the bowl in; FYI.
As I mentioned earlier Pogaca comes with different verities of fillings, you can go with any of ways as your preference. These are the best filling options according to me for the Pogaca.
This is the most popular filling for the Pogaca, not only it’s the easiest but also it so delicious option to try as stuffing in the bread. For that you will need;
Crumble the Feta or goat cheese with a fork. Add in finely chopped parsley & herbs. Combine well to have nice paste. If you prefer you can season the filling with some salt, pepper & chilli flakes too.
It is a minced meat & onion stuffing. You can prefer any ground meat for the stuffing in here. Also adjust the spice level up to your choice too. You will need;
Over a medium flame heat a skillet & vegetable oil. Once it hot add the ground meat. Sauté until it changes color on all sides and becomes crumbly. Then add in onion & ginger garlic paste mix well & season with all the other spices. Cook until onions become soft & translucent.
For a vegan filling try out this option. It’s same as the Potato & Spring Onion Bread that I made earlier on. You will need;
Even any kind of cheese can be used in here too. To the mashed potatoes add the spices & chopped spring onions and you ready to go.
This stuffing is my mostly common use as a filling for the stuffed food recipes that I made. However I will note down it in here too. For that you will need;
On medium heat place a skillet & saute onions & ginger garlic paste with oil. Once onions become soft add the chopped vegetables except spring onions & coriander. Season the mixture with spices, pour the soy sauce. Stir well & cover for about 2 minutes to cook vegetables. Put the rest of ingredients & cook further for about 1 minutes.
You can prepare canned fish stuffing in similar way. For detailed instructions check my Fish Roti Recipe.
Also you can use sausages filling with some vegetables like prepared in above. Try creamy spicy chicken stuffing as the bread too. Go & check my BBQ Chicken Sliders Recipe for more instructions.
As you can see there are endless savory filling options & do try whatever you would like to have with. Let me give you a small tip; you can use different fillings at the same time to serve your guests. They can be differentiate by garnishing two ways with sesame seeds or not, sesame seeds & poppy or black cumin seeds for each type. For me this is very practical because when I’m expecting vegan guest among meat or sea food lovers, so for the same food I can bring their choices in. That would be wonderful & your guest will love it for sure.
4. Put generous 1tbsp amount of prepared filling in the center.
5. Get two opposite edges of circle pinch together & seal it to close well.
6. Now you have a roll that shaped as oval; it should be wider and rounder in the center and narrower at the ends.
7. Place the Pogaca on a baking tray which greased in butter, oil or baking spray. Make sure that you put seam side down and tuck the ends underneath.
8. Repeat this with all the dough balls, leaving about one inch between each roll because it will rise in resting & baking.
Note: hence I want to bake them all in one go, I overload the baking tray. Which end up not having enough space to rise & they end up sticking to each other as you can see in here. Don’t do that if you are making these on a gathering, it will not pleasant looking.
9. Cover prepared Pogaca with a kitchen towel for about 15 minutes to rest.
10. Meanwhile get the reserved egg yolk & add 1 tbsp of water or milk to it, mix well & set aside to brush those buns. Also get sesame seeds, poppy or black cumin seeds for garnishing them.
11. After 15 minutes brush with egg wash 7 garnish them.
12. Bake in preheated oven at 190C about 35 minutes until they turn into beautiful golden brown color.
Experiment with new version of Pogaca by adding mixture of fresh herbs like dill weed, oregano, and mint while making the dough. That would be a lovely for the Bread Recipe which brining such a wonderful, green color and as well as flavor too.
Enjoy with your family & friends as a snack or a meal as this Bread Recipe calls for fluffy & taste delicious cute little buns. If you love Turkish cuisine, check my Turkish Pide Recipe too, it is also taste divine as this.
Hope you try and enjoy as a great treat for meal or tea parties. I will see you again with delicious recipe like this guys, till then happy cooking! Bye