Hello friends, today I’m sharing with you yet another delicious treat, Yogurt Cake. Are you looking for yummy sweet dessert with minimum effort & maximum result, you’re in the right place. Who doesn’t love a simple and delicious yogurt cake that’s so easy to prepare and involves hardly any cleaning up in few minutes get to prepare? Results a light & moist cake which is a healthy due to low sugar content & packed with nutrients of yogurt, in the same time it’s also inexpensive and super easy to make. So you have to give it a try since it’s perfect for any occasion. Today I’m making the very basic plain yogurt cake, the specialty of this cake is that we can adapt in any way we like to do because it’s a foolproof recipe unlike other cakes. Go through the article I will add tips for change the recipe in better way.
For about 8 servings
Ingredients for the yogurt cake
- All-purpose flour 200g
- Baking powder 1tsp
- Baking soda 1/2tsp
- Salt 1/2tsp
- 2 large eggs
- Whole milk plain yogurt 3/4 cup
- Vanilla extract 1tsp
- Granulated white sugar 3/4 cup
- Zest of one lemon (optional)
Tips for the Yogurt Cake Ingredients
- You can even add 1/4 cup or 30g of ground almonds/peanuts or cashew nuts to the recipe, when you are doing so be sure to reduce that amount from the flour.
- Chopped nuts or chocolate chips also can be used for the recipe. Same goes for the fresh fruits slices like berries.
- Recipe can be made with your favorite flavor of yogurt, so change the flavor of your yogurt & make different texture in yogurt cake every time you bakes.
- Feel free to cut the sugar from the recipe & make it as low sugar one. Healthiest tip is reducing the amount of added sugar, whatever sugar that you are using in.
- Usually its recommend to use vegetable oil, neutral in taste, for the recipe (rapeseed or sunflower for instance). Or you can even use good quality coconut oil or light olive oil in here, if you don’t mind that your cake tastes a little bit different. I used coconut oil that naturally produced at our home, so it’s fine. For best results, I recommend to use vegetable oil that flavorless in texture; corn or canola oil also work in this too. Oil is really matter to the quality of the cake, so be cautions on that.
- Room temperature egg need to be used for the recipe like other cakes and make sure the yogurt is not too cold when you using it.
- Lemon or lime zest bounce the taste in yogurt cake balancing the flavors & it is refreshing.
Steps to make the yogurt cake
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Grease 8-inch cake pan & set aside. I used a ring cake pan for this & buttered then floured it, if you do like to make ring cake pan make sure to grease oil or butter in every corner.
- Whisk together the yogurt, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl add the flour, baking powder, soda & salt & mix well.
- Pour wet into the dry ingredients after making a well in the middle of the flour mixture.
- Then stir just until no lumps remain. Do not overmix the batter because working flour too much can produce gluten, which creates a dense and rubbery cake.
- Transfer the batter into the cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes till cake turn into golden brown & releasing from the edges of the pan.
- Insert a skewer into the center of the cake & if its comes out clean, transfer the cake to a cooling rack and let it cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.